Honor Your Mother!
It is said that the hand that rocks the cradle has a right to rule the world. The implication here is that when a mother teaches a child to become a man, and in turn that man becomes a ruler, then his rule will be influenced by her upbringing. This is very true. So it is important that mothers rear well adjusted, godly, and emotionally healthy kids. Nothing and no one can be, or should be, more influential than a mother; the mother is the closest to her child and her responsibility is beyond measure.
The Bible instructs us to honor our mother (Exodus 20:12). With Mother’s Day coming up this Sunday, it is good to take time and reassess our relationship with our mother, although I do not think that this should be the only day to be nice to our mothers. It has to be a continuous relationship of love, honor and respect. It also has to be relative to the need and response of the mother. Some mothers do not care about what God has said in His word, or care about a continuing relationship with the child, so the child’s good intentions could be an intrusion on the mother’s life. It is good to remember that some mothers value and need a good relationship. While it is true that everyone has a mother, not every mother has the same disposition, or the same circumstances.
Most churches, during the Easter weak, preach on Jesus’ last seven words on earth. Here, Jesus’ sets a very good example about fulfilling God’s Word by remembering His mother. In spite of His agony and anguish on the cross, He is concerned about who will take care of His mother. So He looks at His most dedicated disciple and says to him, “Son behold thy mother” (John 19:27). I do not think that there is a better example than this for us to follow! Jesus, at these last moments of His life on earth, could have made the most dramatic and earth shaking statements, yet He saw the need for His mother’s caring and His priority of concerns; so He expressed them.
No mother lives forever, so while the mother is still capable of enjoying the love, the care, the help, and the attention of the child, the duties must be performed. Early on in my life, when my father passed away, I bought a house with a guesthouse in the back for my mother to live in, if she decided to do so. I always wanted my mother cared for and hoped that I would be the one to care for her, but her health dictated that my sister, who is a nurse, would be more qualified to provide the best care for her. Any time I did something good for my mother, I felt honored to be able to do it, and that I was obeying God.
God in His infinite wisdom made mothers totally different than fathers. Their mental structure and their emotional being are geared toward nurturing the young. It starts with breast-feeding and cuddling; how more personal and intimate can the relationship be! God is wonderful in planning it that way, and good mothers are being obedient to God. If you have not had this kind of mother, my prayer is that you ladies will be the good mothers to your children when it is your turn.
Happy Mother’s day, and may God bless them. I thank Christ for my mother.
The Bible instructs us to honor our mother (Exodus 20:12). With Mother’s Day coming up this Sunday, it is good to take time and reassess our relationship with our mother, although I do not think that this should be the only day to be nice to our mothers. It has to be a continuous relationship of love, honor and respect. It also has to be relative to the need and response of the mother. Some mothers do not care about what God has said in His word, or care about a continuing relationship with the child, so the child’s good intentions could be an intrusion on the mother’s life. It is good to remember that some mothers value and need a good relationship. While it is true that everyone has a mother, not every mother has the same disposition, or the same circumstances.
Most churches, during the Easter weak, preach on Jesus’ last seven words on earth. Here, Jesus’ sets a very good example about fulfilling God’s Word by remembering His mother. In spite of His agony and anguish on the cross, He is concerned about who will take care of His mother. So He looks at His most dedicated disciple and says to him, “Son behold thy mother” (John 19:27). I do not think that there is a better example than this for us to follow! Jesus, at these last moments of His life on earth, could have made the most dramatic and earth shaking statements, yet He saw the need for His mother’s caring and His priority of concerns; so He expressed them.
No mother lives forever, so while the mother is still capable of enjoying the love, the care, the help, and the attention of the child, the duties must be performed. Early on in my life, when my father passed away, I bought a house with a guesthouse in the back for my mother to live in, if she decided to do so. I always wanted my mother cared for and hoped that I would be the one to care for her, but her health dictated that my sister, who is a nurse, would be more qualified to provide the best care for her. Any time I did something good for my mother, I felt honored to be able to do it, and that I was obeying God.
God in His infinite wisdom made mothers totally different than fathers. Their mental structure and their emotional being are geared toward nurturing the young. It starts with breast-feeding and cuddling; how more personal and intimate can the relationship be! God is wonderful in planning it that way, and good mothers are being obedient to God. If you have not had this kind of mother, my prayer is that you ladies will be the good mothers to your children when it is your turn.
Happy Mother’s day, and may God bless them. I thank Christ for my mother.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home