Do We Dare Take the Bible Literally?
Whenever someone asks me this question, or in my presence, I always answer yes, without hesitation! I do not know if all conservative evangelical Christians, or if all fundamentalists, believe that the Bible is to be taken seriously. If we decide to believe some portions, then who decides which portions we should take literally, and which portions we shouldn’t!
This morning, in the weekly CBMC breakfast (Christian Business Men’s Committee), Joe shared with us his grandson’s medical condition. The doctors say that the child has a hole in his heart, and he needs a heart transplant. The child and his family are staying in a hotel in Pasadena, California, waiting for a young man to die so that the heart would be used for the young man. Joe said that he is having a hard time praying for a heart for his grandson, because it would mean that a young man would have to die in order to save his child’s life. This, on the surface, is a dilemma. If you know Joe like I do, you would understand why it is a battle for him. Joe is a very compassionate and unselfish man. My response is that people die everyday, so his prayer should be: “Lord make it possible for one of these hearts to be a match for my grandson.” Nothing is selfish about that that prayer. But if the dilemma continues, then this is the solution: Stand on the Word of God just as it is written in the Bible.”
For some people it is easier said than done, but I have seen God’s hand, over and over again in these types of situations. God’s answer came through just as we are told it would in the Holy Bible. In the Book of Mark we read about Jesus’ healing of every sickness and every disease. Also, we are told in the Scriptures that Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. He changes not! It goes even further in John chapter fourteen. Jesus said: “…these things I do and greater things shall you do, because I go to the Father, and whatever you ask the Father in my Name, I will do it”. He repeats that again for confirmation.
So, why shouldn’t we trust in Jesus and ask Him to seal the hole in this young man’s heart, or just recreate a new perfect heart for the child and believe it to be done. In my walk with the Lord for the last four decades, I have believed God, and have stood on His Word and I’ve seen the answer many times; glory to His name! Another portion of the Bible that relates to this message is found in James, chapter five, verses 14 to 18. “Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord …The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.” A verse I love, and repeat often is this, “…He sent forth His Word, and healed them”(Ps 107:20).
Some would say that standing on the promises of the Bible requires a lot of faith, and is not easy. I agree with that very much. In the Book of Romans we are told: “…faith come by hearing, and that is reading the Word of God”(Ro 10:17). It may not be a total surprise that Christianity is based on faith. In fact, the Word says “…without faith it is impossible to please God.” We Christians live by faith and not by sight!
Finally I want to admit that I am willing to pray for this child and I have the faith that God will heal him even without the transplant! I will update you in a future post on the child’s condition, and if there is an opportunity for to pray with him and anoint him.
I want to remind everyone to thank Christ for His promises of healing!
This morning, in the weekly CBMC breakfast (Christian Business Men’s Committee), Joe shared with us his grandson’s medical condition. The doctors say that the child has a hole in his heart, and he needs a heart transplant. The child and his family are staying in a hotel in Pasadena, California, waiting for a young man to die so that the heart would be used for the young man. Joe said that he is having a hard time praying for a heart for his grandson, because it would mean that a young man would have to die in order to save his child’s life. This, on the surface, is a dilemma. If you know Joe like I do, you would understand why it is a battle for him. Joe is a very compassionate and unselfish man. My response is that people die everyday, so his prayer should be: “Lord make it possible for one of these hearts to be a match for my grandson.” Nothing is selfish about that that prayer. But if the dilemma continues, then this is the solution: Stand on the Word of God just as it is written in the Bible.”
For some people it is easier said than done, but I have seen God’s hand, over and over again in these types of situations. God’s answer came through just as we are told it would in the Holy Bible. In the Book of Mark we read about Jesus’ healing of every sickness and every disease. Also, we are told in the Scriptures that Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. He changes not! It goes even further in John chapter fourteen. Jesus said: “…these things I do and greater things shall you do, because I go to the Father, and whatever you ask the Father in my Name, I will do it”. He repeats that again for confirmation.
So, why shouldn’t we trust in Jesus and ask Him to seal the hole in this young man’s heart, or just recreate a new perfect heart for the child and believe it to be done. In my walk with the Lord for the last four decades, I have believed God, and have stood on His Word and I’ve seen the answer many times; glory to His name! Another portion of the Bible that relates to this message is found in James, chapter five, verses 14 to 18. “Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord …The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.” A verse I love, and repeat often is this, “…He sent forth His Word, and healed them”(Ps 107:20).
Some would say that standing on the promises of the Bible requires a lot of faith, and is not easy. I agree with that very much. In the Book of Romans we are told: “…faith come by hearing, and that is reading the Word of God”(Ro 10:17). It may not be a total surprise that Christianity is based on faith. In fact, the Word says “…without faith it is impossible to please God.” We Christians live by faith and not by sight!
Finally I want to admit that I am willing to pray for this child and I have the faith that God will heal him even without the transplant! I will update you in a future post on the child’s condition, and if there is an opportunity for to pray with him and anoint him.
I want to remind everyone to thank Christ for His promises of healing!

2 Comments:
As someone who does take the bible literally, I'm not sure that your definition of literally is the same as mine. In literature, the term literally generally includes understanding the time period in which the piece was written, the events happening around the piece and the intent of the author.
Many folks claiming to interpret the bible literally are actually literalistic - exactly what the words say in the current venacular, without regard to setting or intent.
In your example you quote James 5:14-18. So, when someone is sick, do you summon an elder (minister, pastor, priest) to pray and annoint with oil?
Catholics and Anglicans interpret this passage literally as the establishment of the seventh sacrament, Annointing of the Sick (Extreme Unction).
Thank you for your insightful comments, and I am happy to elaborate with a response.
When I say that I interpret God's Word literally, I say that in contrast to a figurative interpretation. Of course the Bible is to be interpreted with knowledge of time, place, and vernacular. However, God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Faith and healing are the same as in the days Jesus. Therefore, a literal interpretation of “elders” praying for the sick is consistent with today’s practice of Christianity.
For clarification purposes, the term "elder" is not what it may seem in the English vernacular. Rather, the proper Semetic translation of the word “elder” means one who has faith, not necessarily position in the Church. This is in contrast to the denominations you mentioned that practice the rituals of Priests and other clergyman as a means to pray for the sick, instead of exercising the prayer of faith that heals. This means that despite one’s position in the Church, his faith empowers him to pray for the sick, with faith for a healing.
In closing, see John 14:12-14. Please feel free to write again with any questions or comments. Thank Christ!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home